Savory Summertime Oat Bread
This recipe is part of the recipe for Veggie Club Sandwiches
Makes 2 loaves (24 slices)
|1/2||cup finely chopped onion|
|2||cups whole wheat flour|
|4-1/4||to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|2||cups uncooked old-fashioned oats|
|2||packages quick-rising active dry yeast|
|1-1/4||cups fat-free (skim) milk|
|1||cup finely shredded carrots|
|3||tablespoons dried parsley flakes|
|1||tablespoon margarine, melted|
- Spray small nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Cook and stir onion 3 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Stir together whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, oats, sugar, yeast and salt in large mixer bowl. Heat water, milk and 1/4 cup margarine in medium saucepan over low heat until mixture reaches 120° to 130°F. Add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed just until dry ingredients are moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in carrots, onion, parsley and remaining 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour until dough is no longer sticky.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in large bowl lightly sprayed with cooking spray; turn dough over. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Spray two 8X4-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into 2 loaves; place in pans. Brush with melted margarine. Cover; let rise in warm place 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks.
|Serving Size:||1 slice (1/12 of 8x4-inch loaf)|
|Calories from Fat||17 %|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Check out more recipes for Yeast & Bread Machine