Your head will be swimming with compliments when you serve this adorable school of fish. Let your children choose the gumdrop colors for the fish.
Makes 16 to 20 servings
|1||recipe Creamy White Frosting|
|Blue paste food coloring|
|1||recipe Base Frosting|
|Large and small gumdrops|
|1||(19X13-inch) cake board, cut to fit cake if desired, covered|
- If cake top is rounded, trim horizontally with long serrated knife. Trim sides of cake. Place cake on prepared cake board.
- Tint Creamy White Frosting blue by adding small amount of desired paste color with toothpick; stir well. Slowly add more color until frosting is desired shade.
- Frost top and sides of cake with Base Frosting to seal in crumbs. Frost again with blue frosting. Swirl frosting to resemble waves.
- To make large fish, position 1 large gumdrop on cutting board and cut lengthwise in half. Set aside 1 gumdrop half for fish body. For tail, place remaining gumdrop half, cut side down, on cutting board. Cut wedge piece from center of wide end. Place fish body in desired position on cake top. Place narrow end of tail piece next to wide end of fish body. Trim reserved wedge piece into fin shape and place above body of fish.
- For eyes and bubbles, cut off small pieces of gumdrop and press onto fish and cake. Decorate fish by cutting additional small pieces of gumdrop and pressing pieces onto fish, if desired. Repeat with additional large gumdrops to make more large fish. Repeat with small gumdrops to make small fish.
Check out more recipes for Kid-Friendly Recipes