Makes 4 generous servings
|4||tablespoons olive oil|
|2||cups chopped onions|
|2||red bell peppers, seeded and chopped|
|1||green bell pepper, seeded and chopped|
|8||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||cups Fish Stock|
|2||cups vermouth or white wine|
|2||cans (16 ounces each) tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped|
|1||tablespoon dried basil|
|1||teaspoon dried thyme leaves|
|1/4||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|3/4||pound raw large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1/2||pound sea scallops|
|8||crab claws or claw-shaped surimi|
|Fresh bay leaves for garnish|
- To prepare clams,* discard any clams that remain open when tapped with fingers. To clean clams, scrub with stiff brush under cold running water. Soak clams in mixture of 1/3 cup salt to 1 gallon water 20 minutes. Drain water; repeat 2 more times.
- To steam clams, place 1 cup water in large stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add clams. Cover stockpot; reduce heat to medium. Steam 5 to 7 minutes or until clams open. Remove from stockpot with tongs; set aside. Discard any clams that remain unopened.
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers and garlic. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook 20 to 25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add Fish Stock, vermouth, tomatoes, basil, thyme, bay leaf and red pepper. Partly cover; simmer 30 minutes.
- Add clams, shrimp, scallops and crab claws to tomato mixture. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand until shrimp turn pink and scallops turn opaque.
- Remove bay leaf; discard. Ladle into large pasta or soup bowls. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Italian