Shredded Orange Beef the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Shredded Orange Beef
Makes 4 main-dish servings
|1||small beef flank steak (about 1 pound)|
|2||tablespoons soy sauce, divided|
|3||teaspoons cornstarch, divided|
|1-1/2||teaspoons dark sesame oil|
|1||tablespoon dry sherry|
|1||tablespoon white vinegar|
|2||cups vegetable oil|
|4||medium carrots, cut into matchstick strips|
|2||tablespoons orange peel slivers|
|4||green onions with tops, cut into slivers|
|2||to 3 fresh red or green jalapeño peppers,* cut into strips|
|2||cloves garlic, minced|
|3||to 4 cups shredded lettuce (optional)|
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
- Cut flank steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into thin strips. Whisk together 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, sesame oil and egg white in medium bowl. Add beef and toss to coat. Let beef marinate while preparing vegetables.
- Combine sugar, sherry, vinegar, remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 teaspoons cornstarch in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok over medium-high heat until oil registers 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Add carrots and fry about 3 minutes or until tender. Remove carrots with slotted spoon and place in large strainer set over medium bowl. Reheat oil and fry orange peel about 15 seconds or until fragrant. Remove to paper towels; drain.
- To double-fry beef,** add beef to wok; fry about 1 minute or just until meat turns light in color. Remove beef to another strainer placed over large bowl. Reheat oil to 375°F. Place 1/3 of drained beef in oil; fry about 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer beef to strainer with carrots. Repeat with remaining beef in two batches, reheating oil to maintain temperature.
- Pour off all oil from wok. Reheat wok over medium-high heat. Add onions, jalapeño peppers and garlic; stir-fry 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to wok. Cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Add beef, carrots and orange peel; stir-fry until thoroughly heated. Serve over lettuce on serving platter, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Chinese