Makes 12 servings (1 dozen appetizers)
|12||large shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails intact|
|2||tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch|
|Dash black pepper|
|3||slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, quartered|
|1||hard-cooked egg yolk, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1||slice (1 ounce) cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1||green onion, finely chopped|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
|Hard-cooked egg half and Green Onion Curls , for garnish (optional)|
- Cut deep slit down back of each shrimp; press gently with fingers to flatten.
- Beat egg, cornstarch, salt and pepper in large bowl until blended. Add shrimp; toss to coat well.
- Drain each shrimp and press, cut side down, into each piece of bread. Brush small amount of leftover egg mixture onto each shrimp.
- Place one piece each of egg yolk and ham and scant 1/4 teaspoon green onion on top of each shrimp.
- Heat oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat to 375°F. Add three or four bread pieces at a time; cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Garnish, if desired.
To keep shrimp from flattening during cooking, spoon hot oil in skillet over the shrimp toasts until cooked through instead of turning them over.
|Serving Size:||1 Shrimp Toast|
|Calories from Fat||20 %|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||<1 g|
Check out more recipes for Chinese