Shrimp, Wild Rice and Artichoke Paella
Makes 6 servings
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||pound baby artichokes (about 12)|
|2||medium onions, chopped|
|1||cup chopped seeded red bell pepper|
|3||cloves garlic, minced|
|1||teaspoon curry powder|
|1-1/4||cups uncooked wild rice|
|3||cups canned chicken broth|
|1/3||cup dry sherry*|
|1-1/4||pounds raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1-1/2||cups cooked fresh or frozen baby lima beans|
|1/3||cup slivered almonds, toasted|
*Or, omit sherry and increase chicken broth to 3-1/3 cups.
- Rinse baby artichokes under cold running water. Bend back outer green leaves and snap off at bases. Continue snapping off leaves until top halves of leaves are green and bottom halves are yellow.
- Cut off green fibrous tops of leaves, parallel to bases, with large chef's knife; discard.
- Cut stems off, level with bases, trimming off any green portions with utility knife; discard.
- Cut artichokes lengthwise in half (from top) with utility knife; set aside.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add artichokes; cook and stir until brown. Remove from Dutch oven; set aside.
- Add onions, bell pepper and garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir about 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in curry powder.
- Stir in wild rice; cook 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and sherry. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 40 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Stir shrimp, artichokes and lima beans into wild rice mixture. Cover; cook 10 to 15 minutes until shrimp are opaque. Stir in almonds.
- Transfer to large serving bowl.
Check out more recipes for Shellfish