Sizzling Rice Cakes with Mushrooms and Bell Peppers
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|3/4||cup short-grain rice*|
|1-3/4||cups water, divided|
|1||can (about 14 ounces) chicken broth|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|2||teaspoons red wine vinegar|
|3||tablespoons peanut oil, divided|
|1-1/2||teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger|
|2||cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into short strips|
|1||green bell pepper, cut into short strips|
|8||ounces button mushrooms, quartered|
|4||ounces fresh shiitake or other exotic mushrooms, sliced|
|1||teaspoon sesame oil|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
*Short-grain rice is preferred for this recipe, because of it's high starch content and sticky texture when cooked. It also may be referred to as pearl or glutinous rice. Look for it in most large supermarkets.
- Place rice in colander; rinse under cold running water to remove excess starch. Combine rice and 1-1/2 cups water in medium saucepan.
- Bring rice and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Combine chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar and red wine vinegar in medium bowl. Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup water in small cup; mix well. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add red and green pepper strips; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil to wok. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Add chicken broth mixture to wok and bring to a boil. Stir cornstarch mixture; add to wok. Cook until sauce boils and thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Stir in sesame oil. Return vegetables to wok; cover to keep warm.
- Shape rice into 12 (2-inch) cakes. (Wet hands to make handling rice easier.)
- Heat 2 to 3 inches vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until oil registers 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Add 4 rice cakes; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until puffed and golden, turning occasionally. Remove with slotted spatula to paper towels. Repeat with remaining rice cakes, reheating oil between batches.
- Place rice cakes in serving bowl. Stir vegetable mixture; immediately pour over rice cakes.
Check out more recipes for Asian