Skull and Crossbones Salad
Makes 6 servings
|1||can (29 ounces) pear halves in syrup, drained, reserving syrup|
|3||to 4 drops red food coloring|
|Shredded lettuce (optional)|
- Place pear halves on cutting board, cut side down with larger end up. With small knife, cut away lower 1-inch piece of each pear and flip it over to form jaw. Use knife point to scoop out small circles or Xs for eyes and triangles for noses.
- Fill eyes and noses with pieces of black olives. Cut small rectangles from remaining olive pieces for teeth; arrange in jaws. Set aside.
- Slice jicama into 12 (1/4-inch thick) slices. Cut a 4X1-inch rectangle from each slice; shape into bones.
- Place reserved syrup in small saucepan and boil until syrup thickens. Stir in red food coloring; set aside to cool.
- To serve, place a small amount of shredded lettuce, if desired, on individual serving plate and pour 1 tablespoon cool syrup around it. Top with crossed bones and skull. Drizzle with more syrup.
Shaped skulls and bones may be prepared up to 1 day in advance. Wrap separately and refrigerate until ready to assemble salad.
Check out more recipes for Halloween