Makes 18 large pretzels
|4||to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|1||package active dry yeast|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1||teaspoon garlic salt|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted|
|2||tablespoons baking soda|
|Coarse salt, sesame seeds or poppy seeds|
- Heat milk in small saucepan over low heat until temperature reaches 120°F to 130°F.
- Combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast, baking powder and garlic salt in large bowl. Add milk and butter. Beat vigorously 2 minutes. Add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until dough begins to pull away from side of bowl.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. Knead 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding flour if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Shape dough into ball. Place in large, lightly oiled bowl; turn dough over once to oil surface. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces. Roll each piece into 22-inch-long rope on lightly oiled surface. Form each rope into "U" shape. About 2 inches from each end, cross dough. Fold loose ends up to rounded part of "U"; press ends to seal. Turn pretzels over so that ends are on underside and reshape if necessary. Cover with towel; let rest 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease baking sheets or line with parchment paper. Fill large Dutch oven 3/4 full with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add baking soda. Carefully drop pretzels, 3 at a time, into boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon. Place on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse salt, sesame seeds or poppy seeds.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown. Place on wire racks; cool completely.
Check out more recipes for Yeast & Bread Machine