Southern-Style Chicken and Greens
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|1/2||teaspoon black pepper|
|3-1/2||pounds chicken pieces|
|4||thick slices smoked bacon (4 ounces), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips|
|1||cup uncooked rice|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained|
|1-1/4||cups chicken broth|
|2||cups packed coarsely chopped fresh collard or mustard greens or kale (3 to 4 ounces)|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine salt, paprika and pepper in small bowl. Sprinkle meaty side of chicken pieces with salt mixture; set aside.
- Place bacon in ovenproof Dutch oven; cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove from Dutch oven; drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings.
- Heat drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Arrange chicken in single layer in Dutch oven and cook 3 minutes per side or until chicken is browned. Transfer to plate; set aside. Repeat with remaining pieces. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add rice to drippings; cook and stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, broth, collard greens and half of bacon; bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat; arrange chicken over rice mixture.
- Bake, covered, about 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers and most of liquid is absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Transfer to serving platter; sprinkle with remaining bacon.
Serve with corn bread or corn muffins.
|Total Fat||45 g|
Check out more recipes for Southern