Southwest Sausage Bread
Makes 12 servings
|1||package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast|
|1||cup warm water (105° to 115°F)|
|1-3/4||to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|1-1/2||cups whole wheat flour, divided|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1||medium onion, finely chopped|
|1/4||pound dry chorizo* or pepperoni sausage, chopped|
|1||cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese|
*Chorizo is a highly seasoned Mexican pork sausage.
- Sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water in large bowl; stir until dissolved. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, egg, oil and salt. Beat until blended. Beat 3 minutes. Stir in remaining whole-wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour, about 3/4 cup, to make soft dough.
- Sprinkle work surface with all-purpose flour. Turn out dough onto prepared surface; flatten. Knead 5 to 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to prevent sticking, if necessary. Shape into ball; place in lightly greased bowl. Turn dough over. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place 1 hour or until doubled.
- Cook onion and sausage in skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Drain on paper towels.
- Punch down dough. Knead on floured surface 1 minute. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Spray 9X5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Roll dough into 24X11-inch rectangle. Sprinkle sausage mixture and cheese over dough. Roll up dough jelly-roll style from short end. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Cut dough lengthwise into halves. With cut sides up, twist halves together. Pinch ends to seal. Place in pan, cut sides up. Let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 30 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove immediately from pan. Cool 30 minutes on wire rack.
|Total Fat||10 g|
Check out more recipes for Southwestern