Spaghetti alla Bolognese
Makes 4 to 6 servings
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||pound ground beef|
|1/2||small carrot, finely chopped|
|1/2||stalk celery, finely chopped|
|1||cup dry white wine|
|1/8||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1||can (14-1/2 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped|
|1||cup beef broth|
|3||tablespoons tomato paste|
|1||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/2||teaspoon dried thyme|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||pound uncooked spaghetti|
|1||cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)|
|Fresh thyme sprig for garnish|
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion 4 minutes or until soft. Crumble beef into onion mixture. Brown 6 minutes, stirring to separate meat. Drain and discard fat.
- Stir carrot and celery into meat mixture; cook 2 minutes over medium-high heat. Stir in wine; cook 4 to 6 minutes until wine has evaporated. Stir in milk and nutmeg; reduce heat to medium and cook 3 to 4 minutes until milk has almost evaporated. Remove from heat.
- Press tomatoes with juice through sieve into meat mixture; discard seeds.
- Stir beef broth, tomato paste, salt, basil, thyme, pepper and bay leaf into meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until most of liquid has evaporated and sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Discard bay leaf.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions just until al dente; drain well. Combine hot spaghetti and meat sauce in serving bowl; toss lightly. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Italian