Speedy the Turtle
Makes 14 to 18 servings
|5-1/2||cups cake batter, divided|
|1||(10-inch) round cake board, covered, or large plate|
|1-1/4||cups prepared white frosting|
|5||to 6 pecan swirl rolls|
|Assorted candies and red licorice whip|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2-1/2-quart ovenproof bowl and medium muffin pan. Pour 4 cups cake batter into prepared bowl; pour remaining cake batter into muffin pan (1/4 cup batter per muffin cup). Bake cake in bowl 60 to 70 minutes and cupcakes about 20 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pans. Loosen edges; invert onto wire racks and cool completely.
- Trim flat side of bowl cake. Place on prepared cake board, flat side down. Cut about one-third off bottom of one cupcake. (Reserve remaining cupcakes for another use.)
- Tint frosting olive green.
- Frost cake and cupcake with green frosting. Attach cupcake to cake with small amount of frosting to form turtle head as shown in photo.
- Cut pecan swirl rolls into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place slices close together to form rows until entire body of turtle is covered. Press candy into center of each pecan roll slice.
- Decorate face with assorted candies and licorice; arrange walnut halves, flat sides down, to resemble feet as shown in photo.
Check out more recipes for Kid-Friendly Recipes