Makes 24 to 27 cupcakes
|1||package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow or white cake mix|
|1||cup solid-pack pumpkin|
|2||tablespoons vegetable oil|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1||teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*|
|Orange food coloring|
|1||container (16 ounces) vanilla, cream cheese or caramel frosting|
|4||ounces semisweet chocolate|
|4||dozen black gumdrops|
*Substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice and ground nutmeg for 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 standard (2-1/2-inch) muffin pan cups with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, pumpkin, water, eggs, oil, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until well blended.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each muffin cup. Bake about 20 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes to wire racks; cool completely.
- Add orange food coloring to frosting. Stir until well blended; adjust color as needed by adding additional food coloring 1 drop at a time, blending well after each addition. Frost cupcakes.
- Place chocolate in small resealable food storage bag. Microwave on MEDIUM (50%) 40 seconds. Knead bag; microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute or until chocolate is melted. Knead bag until chocolate is smooth. Cut off tiny corner of bag. Drizzle chocolate in four or five concentric circles over top of cupcake. Immediately draw 6 to 8 lines at regular intervals from center to edges of cupcake with toothpick or knife to create web. Repeat with remaining cupcakes and chocolate.
- For spider, place one gumdrop in center of web design on top of cupcake. Roll out another gumdrop with rolling pin on generously sugared surface. Slice thinly and roll into "legs." Arrange legs around gumdrop to complete spider. Repeat with remaining gumdrops and cupcakes.
Check out more recipes for Halloween