Spinach Lasagna the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 6 servings
|1||pound ground beef|
|1/4||pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|1||can (28 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes, undrained|
|1-1/4||teaspoons salt, divided|
|3/4||teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed|
|3/4||teaspoon dried basil|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper, divided|
|9||uncooked lasagna noodles|
|1/4||cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, divided|
|1/4||cup all-purpose flour|
|1/8||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1-1/2||cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces), divided|
|1/2||cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided|
|1||package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry|
- For meat sauce, crumble ground beef into large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown 8 to 10 minutes, stirring to separate meat, until meat loses its pink color. Stir in mushrooms, onion and garlic; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Press tomatoes with juice through sieve into meat mixture; discard seeds. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, oregano, basil and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes more until sauce thickens. Set aside.
- Add lasagna noodles to large pot of boiling salted water, 1 at a time, allowing noodles to soften and fit into pot. Cook 10 minutes or just until al dente. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain again; hang individually over pot rim to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- For cheese sauce, melt 1/4 cup butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg; cook and stir until bubbly. Whisk in milk; cook and stir until sauce thickens and bubbles. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheeses. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread remaining 1 tablespoon butter on bottom and sides of 12X8-inch baking dish with waxed paper. Spread noodles in single layer on clean kitchen (not paper) towel. Pat noodles dry.
- Arrange 3 lasagna noodles in single layer, overlapping slightly, in bottom of baking dish. Top with 1/2 of reserved meat sauce; spread evenly. Spread 1/2 of reserved cheese sauce over meat sauce in even layer.
- Repeat layers once, using 3 noodles, remaining meat sauce and remaining cheese sauce. Sprinkle spinach over cheese sauce in even layer; pat down lightly. Arrange remaining 3 lasagna noodles over spinach.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheeses in cup. Sprinkle cheeses evenly on top of lasagna to completely cover lasagna noodles. Bake 40 minutes or until top is golden and edges are bubbly. Let lasagna stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish as desired.
Check out more recipes for Italian