Spinach Stuffed Manicotti the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Spinach Stuffed Manicotti
Makes 4 servings
|1||package (10 ounces) frozen spinach|
|8||uncooked manicotti shells|
|1-1/2||teaspoons olive oil|
|1||teaspoon dried rosemary|
|1||teaspoon dried sage|
|1||teaspoon dried oregano|
|1||teaspoon dried thyme|
|1||teaspoon chopped garlic|
|1-1/2||cups chopped fresh tomatoes|
|1/2||cup ricotta cheese|
|1/2||cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs|
|2||egg whites, lightly beaten|
|Yellow pepper rings and sage sprig (optional)|
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Place in colander to drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Squeeze spinach with hands to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain. Rinse under cold running water until cool enough to handle; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir rosemary, sage, oregano, thyme and garlic in hot oil about 1 minute. Do not let herbs turn brown. Add tomatoes; reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine spinach, cheese and crumbs in bowl. Fold in egg whites. Fill shells with spinach mixture using spoon.
- Place one third of tomato mixture in 13X9-inch baking dish. Arrange manicotti in dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over top. Cover with foil. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with yellow bell pepper rings and sage sprig.
|Serving Size:||2 stuffed manicotti|
|Calories from Fat||30 %|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
Check out more recipes for Italian