Steamed Pork and Shrimp Dumplings (Siu Mai)
Makes 3 dozen dumplings
|1||package (5 ounces) frozen cooked tiny shrimp, thawed and rinsed|
|1||pound lean ground pork|
|1/2||cup finely chopped water chestnuts|
|2||green onions with tops, finely chopped|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|1||tablespoon dry sherry|
|1||teaspoon minced fresh ginger|
|1/2||teaspoon dark sesame oil|
|36||wonton wrappers (3 inches in diameter)*|
|36||fresh green peas (5 or 6 pods)|
|Additional soy sauce (optional)|
|Chili oil (optional)|
|Fresh tarragon sprig for garnish|
*Most markets carry square wrappers. In some markets, 3-inch round wrappers are available; omit step 3 if using round wrappers.
- Drain shrimp on paper towels. Set aside 36 shrimp. Place remaining shrimp in large bowl. Add pork, water chestnuts, green onions, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, ginger, sesame oil and sugar; mix well.
- Stir egg white into pork mixture until well blended; set aside. Place egg yolk in cup. Whisk water into egg yolk; set aside.
- To trim square wrappers into circles, stack 12 wrappers on top of each other, keeping remaining wrappers covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying. Cut into 3-inch circles with tip of paring knife using round cookie cutter as guide. Repeat procedure 2 more times, keeping trimmed wrappers covered with plastic wrap.
- Lightly brush each wrapper with egg yolk mixture. Spoon 1-1/2 tablespoons pork mixture onto center of each wrapper. Bring edge of wrapper up around filling in small pleats, leaving top of filling exposed. Press wrapper around filling in middle to form pinched "waist." Place on tray and cover with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- To steam dumplings, place 12-inch bamboo steamer in wok. Add water to 1/2 inch below steamer. (Water should not touch steamer.) Remove steamer. Cover wok; bring water to a boil over high heat.
- Oil bottom of bamboo steamer. Arrange 1/2 of dumplings about 1/2 inch apart in steamer. Brush tops lightly with egg yolk mixture; place 1 pea and 1 reserved shrimp on top of each dumpling, pressing to secure in place.
- Place steamer in wok over boiling water; reduce heat to medium. Cover and steam dumplings about 12 minutes or until pork is firm to the touch. Remove wok from heat. Transfer dumplings to serving plate.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with remaining dumplings. Serve immediately with soy sauce and chili oil for dipping, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Chinese