Steamed Pumpkin Cake
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 3 to 3-1/2 hours (HIGH)
Makes 12 servings
|1-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1-1/2||teaspoons baking powder|
|1-1/2||teaspoons baking soda|
|1||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) butter, melted|
|2||cups packed light brown sugar|
|1||can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin|
|Sweetened whipped cream (optional)|
- Grease 2-1/2-quart soufflé dish or baking pan that fits into slow cooker.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter, brown sugar and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spoon batter into prepared soufflé dish.
- Fill slow cooker with 1-inch hot water. Make foil handles, using technique described below, to allow for easy removal of soufflé dish. Place soufflé dish in slow cooker. Cover; cook on HIGH 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until wooden toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Use foil handles to lift dish from slow cooker. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto serving platter. Cut into wedges and serve with dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
Tear off 3 (18x2-inch) strips of heavy foil, or use regular foil folded to double thickness. Crisscross foil strips in spoke design, and place soufflé dish on center of strips. Pull foil strips up and over dish.
Enhance this old-fashioned dense cake with a topping of sautéed apples or pear slices, or perhaps even a scoop of pumpkin ice cream.
Check out more recipes for Cakes