Stir-Fried Chicken the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 6 servings
|2||tablespoons soy sauce|
|2||whole chicken breasts, split, skinned and boned|
|1||medium green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips|
|1/2||small onion, chopped|
|1||cup diagonally sliced celery|
|1||medium carrot, diagonally sliced|
|1||cup sliced mushrooms|
|1/4||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1||can (16 ounces) bean sprouts, drained|
|1||can (5 ounces) water chestnuts, drained, sliced|
|3||cups hot cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)|
|Celery leaves for garnish|
- Blend soy sauce into cornstarch in cup until smooth; set aside.
- Slice chicken crosswise across the grain into 1/4-inch strips on cutting board.
- Place wok or large skillet over high heat. (Test hot pan by adding drop of water to pan; if water sizzles, pan is sufficiently hot.) Add 2 tablespoons oil to wok, swirling to coat all sides. Heat oil until hot, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken to wok; briskly toss and stir chicken with wok utensil or wooden spoon, keeping chicken in constant motion, 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from wok; set aside.
- Reheat wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to wok, swirling to coat all sides. Heat oil until hot, about 30 seconds. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, carrot, mushrooms, salt and ginger to wok; briskly toss and stir vegetables with wok utensil or wooden spoon, keeping vegetables in constant motion, 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, adding more oil to wok if needed.
- Stir chicken into vegetables in wok until well combined; stir in bean sprouts, water chestnuts and water. Push chicken-vegetable mixture to side of wok; add cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Mound rice onto serving platter; spoon chicken-vegetable mixture over rice. Sprinkle with peanuts. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Chinese