Stir-Fry of Beef, Carrots, Snake Beans, Ginger and Garlic
Episode 58: Cindy's Menu
|3 tablespoons/45 ml||olive oil|
|2 large||shallots, thinly sliced|
|2 large||garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|1 tablespoon||finely chopped peeled fresh ginger|
|1 pound/450 g||New York steak or filet mignon steak, fat and sinew trimmed, meat sliced into thin strips|
|1 large||carrot, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally|
|6 ounces/170 g||green beans, cut diagonally into 3-inch/8-cm pieces|
|6 ounces/170 g||yellow wax beans, cut diagonally into 3-inch/8-cm pieces|
|1/4 cup/55 ml||sweet Chinese rice wine (mirin)|
|1/4 cup/55 ml||reduced-sodium soy sauce|
|1/4 cup /55 ml||water|
|1 tablespoon/15 g||oyster sauce|
|1 cup/75 g||bean sprouts|
|3 large||green onions, thinly sliced diagonally|
|1 teaspoon/5 ml||toasted sesame oil|
|Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish|
|2 teaspoons/4 g||toasted sesame seeds|
|Steamed rice (optional)|
- Place a large wok over a high heat. Once the wok is very hot add 1 tablespoon/15 ml of olive oil and swirl the wok to coat with the oil. Add ½ of the shallots, garlic and ginger to the hot wok, then immediately add ½ of the beef.
- Stir fry for about 2 minutes or until the beef is semi cooked to medium-rare doneness. Immediately transfer the beef mixture to a baking sheet and set aside.
- Return the wok to high heat and repeat this process with 1 tablespoon/15 ml of olive oil, the shallots, garlic, ginger and beef. Working in two batches will allow the beef to sear properly and transferring the beef mixture to a baking sheet prevents it from overcooking.
- Return the empty wok to high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon/15 ml of olive oil, the carrots and beans. Stir fry for about 3 minutes or until the vegetables soften slightly.
- Add the rice wine, soy sauce, water and oyster sauce and continue to stir fry for a further 4 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the sauce reduces slightly.
- Add the bean sprouts and stir fry 1 minute longer. Return the beef mixture to the wok and add the green onions. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until the beef mixture is heated through.
- Stir in the sesame oil and remove from the heat. Divide the stir fry among 4 serving dishes, mounding in the center, and sprinkle with the cilantro leaves and sesame seeds. Serve immediately with steamed rice, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Beef