Stuffed Mushrooms the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 2 dozen
|24||fresh medium mushrooms (about 1 pound)|
|6||ounces boneless lean pork|
|1/4||cup whole water chestnuts (1/4 of 8-ounce can)|
|3||green onions with tops|
|1/2||small red or green bell pepper|
|1||small stalk celery|
|2||teaspoons dry sherry|
|1||teaspoon minced fresh ginger|
|1||teaspoon soy sauce|
|1/2||teaspoon hoisin sauce|
|1||egg white, lightly beaten|
|Vegetable oil for frying|
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|Fresh thyme leaves for garnish|
- Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. Chop stems finely and transfer to large bowl.
- Finely chop pork, water chestnuts, onions, bell pepper and celery. Add to chopped mushroom stems. Add sherry, cornstarch, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and egg white; mix well.
- Spoon pork mixture into mushroom caps, mounding slightly in center.
- Dip mushrooms into flour, then into batter, coating completely.
- Add six to eight mushrooms to hot oil; cook about 5 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining mushrooms. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Chinese