Stuffed Vegetable Tempura
Makes 4 servings
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|2||tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, divided|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|3/4||cup cold water|
|1||pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1||tablespoon soy sauce|
|2||teaspoons sesame oil|
|Soy Dipping Sauce|
|4||cups vegetable oil|
|1||zucchini, diagonally cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices|
|8||button mushrooms, stems removed|
|1||red bell pepper, cut into wedges|
|1||green bell pepper, cut into wedges|
|Beefsteak leaves (optional)|
|Edible flowers, such as snapdragons, for garnish|
|1/2||lemon, cut lengthwise into 4 wedges (optional)|
- To prepare batter, place flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; mix well with wire whisk. Make well in center and whisk in water until batter is consistency of pancake batter with small lumps.
- Add egg white to batter; whisk until blended. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place yolk in food processor. Add shrimp, soy sauce, sesame oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch to food processor. Process until shrimp is chopped to a paste. Place shrimp paste in small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Prepare Soy Dipping Sauce and keep warm.
- Heat vegetable oil in wok over medium-high heat until oil registers 375°F on deep-fry thermometer. Spread about 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons shrimp paste on 1 side of 8 zucchini slices and stuff remaining paste into mushroom caps and pepper wedges.
- Stir batter until smooth. Dip 6 stuffed vegetables, 1 at a time, into batter. Carefully add to oil. Fry, stuffing sides up, about 2 minutes for peppers, 3 minutes for zucchini and 4 minutes for mushrooms or until golden brown, turning once. Remove vegetables to tray lined with paper towels; drain. Repeat with remaining stuffed vegetables, reheating oil between batches. Dip leftover zucchini slices into remaining batter and fry about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- To serve, line 4 individual serving plates with paper doilies or beefsteak leaves. Arrange vegetables on plates. Garnish, if desired. Pour Soy Dipping Sauce into 4 small bowls. Serve dipping sauce and lemon wedges with tempura.
Check out more recipes for Asian