Sunshine Butter Cookies the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Sunshine Butter Cookies
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
|3/4||cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened|
|2-1/4||cups all-purpose flour|
|Grated peel of 1/2 lemon|
|1||teaspoon frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed|
|Lemonade Royal Icing|
|Thin pretzel sticks|
|Yellow paste food coloring|
|Gummy fruit and black licorice strings|
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl at high speed of electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg; beat well.
- Combine flour, salt and lemon peel in medium bowl. Add to butter mixture. Stir in lemonade concentrate. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Prepare Lemonade Royal Icing. Cover; let stand at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out cookies using 3-inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies on prepared cookie sheets. Press pretzel sticks into edges of cookies to resemble sunshine rays; press gently. Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Add food coloring to Lemonade Royal Icing. Spoon about 1/2 cup icing into resealable food storage bag; seal. Cut tiny tip from corner of bag. Pipe thin circle around flat side of each cookie to create outline.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to remaining icing in bowl until thick but pourable consistency. Spoon icing in cookie centers staying within outline.
- Decorate cookies with gummy fruit and licorice to make "sunny" faces. Let stand 1 hour or until dry.
Check out more recipes for Butter & Sugar