Swedish Sandwich Cookies (Syltkakor) the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Swedish Sandwich Cookies (Syltkakor)
Makes 1-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies
|1||cup butter, softened|
|1/2||cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided|
|2||to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour|
|3||tablespoons ground almonds|
|2/3||cup red currant or strawberry jelly|
- Grease and flour cookie sheets; set aside. Beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 egg yolks.
- Gradually add 1-1/2 cups flour; beat at low speed until well blended. Stir in additional flour with spoon to form stiff dough. Form dough into 2 discs; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Unwrap 1 disc and place on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin to 3/16-inch thickness. Cut dough with floured 2-1/4-inch round cookie cutter. Place cutouts 1-1/2 to 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Gently knead dough trimmings together; reroll and cut out more cookies.
- Unwrap remaining dough disc and place on lightly floured surface. Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin to 3/16-inch thickness. Cut dough with floured 2-1/4-inch scalloped cookie cutter. Cut 1-inch centers out of scalloped cookies. Place cutouts 1-1/2 to 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Cut equal numbers of round and scalloped cookies.
- Beat egg white in small cup with wire whisk. Combine almonds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in small bowl. Brush each scalloped cookie with egg white; sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bake all cookies 8 to 10 minutes or until firm and light golden brown. Remove cookies to wire racks; cool completely.
- To assemble sandwich cookie, spread about 1/2 teaspoon currant jelly over flat side of each round cookie; top with flat side of scalloped cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies and jelly. Store tightly covered at room temperature or freeze up to 3 months.
Check out more recipes for European