Sweet Potato Biscuits
Making cookies this holiday season? Check out these tips for making Christmas cookies.
Makes about 12 biscuits
|2-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1/4||cup packed brown sugar|
|1||tablespoon baking powder|
|3/4||teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1/4||teaspoon ground ginger|
|1/4||teaspoon ground allspice|
|1/2||cup chopped pecans|
|3/4||cup mashed canned sweet potatoes|
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans.
- Combine sweet potatoes and milk in separate medium bowl; mix with wire whisk until smooth.
- Make well in center of flour mixture. Add sweet potato mixture; stir until mixture forms soft dough that clings together and forms a ball.
- Turn out dough onto well-floured surface. Knead dough gently 10 to 12 times.
- Roll or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out dough with floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits 2 inches apart on ungreased large baking sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until tops and bottoms are golden brown. Serve warm.
Check out more recipes for Southern