Tacos with Carnitas
Makes 8 servings
|2||pound pork leg, shoulder or butt roast, fat trimmed|
|1||medium onion, peeled, quartered|
|2||tablespoons chili powder|
|1||tablespoon dried oregano leaves, crushed|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|16||(6-inch) corn tortillas|
|4||cups shredded romaine lettuce|
|1||cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)|
|1||can (4 ounces) diced mild green chilies|
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place pork, onion, chili powder, oregano, bay leaves and cumin in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover pork. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 3 hours or until meat pulls apart easily when tested with fork.
- Transfer meat to baking pan. Bake 20 minutes or until surface is browned and crisp. Meanwhile, skim fat from cooking liquid. Boil over high heat 20 minutes or until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Shred meat by pulling apart with 2 forks. Add meat to reduced cooking liquid; stir to coat completely. Cover; simmer 10 minutes or until meat absorbs most of liquid.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place 2 inches water in medium bowl. Dip 1 tortilla in water; shake off excess. Place in hot skillet. Cook 30 seconds on each side or until tortilla is hot and pliable but just starting to firm slightly. Transfer to plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup lettuce, 1/4 cup meat, 1 tablespoon cheese, if desired, 1 teaspoon chilies and 1 tablespoon Salsa Cruda.
|Calories from Fat||24 %|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Check out more recipes for Mexican