Fresh Tagliatelle with Slowly Cooked Leg of Lamb and Roasted Vine Tomatoes
Episode 80: Lindsay's Menu
|3 tablespoons/45 ml||extra-virgin olive oil|
|One 3- to 3 1/2-pound/1.4- to 1.6-kg||bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|4 shallots||roughly chopped|
|1||carrot, roughly chopped|
|1||celery stalk, roughly chopped|
|1||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1 cup/220 ml||dry red wine|
|4 cups/1 liter||good quality veal stock|
|Juice of 2 oranges|
|Finely grated zest of 1 orange|
|2 large||sprigs fresh thyme|
|1 large||sprig fresh rosemary|
|10||sage leaves, chopped|
|4 small||clusters of strawberry tomatoes on the vine (each with about 6 tomatoes)|
|14 ounces/400 g||fresh tagliatelle or fettuccine pasta (see recipe here)|
|2 tablespoons/about 5 g||finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley|
|2 ounces/55 g||aged Pecorino cheese, shaved|
- Preheat the oven to 300°F/150°C. Heat 2 tablespoons/30 ml of oil in a large, flameproof, stainless steel casserole pot over a medium to high heat. Sprinkle the lamb with salt and pepper. Add the lamb to the pot and cook until it is brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the pot and add the shallots, carrot, celery and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Return the lamb to the pot and deglaze with the red wine. Add the veal stock, orange juice and zest, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. The lamb should be about halfway submerged in the liquids. Bring the liquids to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and place it in the oven for 2½ to 3 hours, turning the lamb occasionally, or until the meat is very tender and falling off the bone. Remove the pot from the oven, uncover and set aside until the meat is cool enough to handle.
- Using your hands, tear all the meat off the bone, discarding any fat and sinew, and coarsely shred the meat. Strain the cooking liquid into a heavy, large frying pan. Discard the vegetables and bones.
- Boil the cooking liquid over high heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until it is reduced to about 3 cups/700 ml. Add the shredded meat and sage to the reduced cooking liquid. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, increase the heat of the oven to 400°F/205°C. Place the tomatoes (with their stems still attached) on a baking sheet and roast for 5 to 10 minutes or until they are soft and their skins split. Remove and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the tagliatelle and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, or until al dente. Drain. Transfer the pasta to the pan of sauce and meat. Add the parsley and remaining 1 tablespoon/15 ml of oil and toss to coat the pasta.
- Using a carving fork, twist the pasta around the fork then mound the pasta in 4 warm pasta bowls, dividing equally. Spoon any remaining meat mixture and sauce over and around the pasta. Garnish with the Pecorino cheese and roasted tomatoes, and serve.
Check out more recipes for Lamb