Tamale Pie the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|1/2||cup white or yellow cornmeal|
|1/3||cup all-purpose flour|
|1||egg white, lightly beaten|
|1/2||jalapeño pepper,* seeded and chopped|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|1||green bell pepper, chopped|
|3/4||cup chopped green onions|
|2||cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|1-1/2||cups canned crushed tomatoes|
|1||can (about 15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained|
|1/4||pound cooked ground turkey breast|
|2||teaspoons chili powder|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
*Jalapeño peppers can sting and irritate the skin, so wear rubber gloves when handling peppers and do not touch your eyes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- For topping, combine all topping ingredients in large bowl until well blended; set aside.
- For filling, spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onions and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, beans, turkey, chili powder, cumin and black pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared pie plate. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls topping around outer edge of filling; flatten with back of spoon to form biscuits.
- Bake 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
|Calories from Fat||13 %|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Check out more recipes for Mexican