Tamale Potato Quiche the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Tamale Potato Quiche
Makes 6 servings
|1/2||pound small red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick|
|1||cup white cornmeal|
|1||teaspoon ground cumin|
|3/4||teaspoon salt, divided|
|2||cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1/2||cup low-fat (1%) cottage cheese|
|1/4||teaspoon black pepper|
|1||can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained|
|1||medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips|
|Sour cream and fresh cilantro|
- Place potatoes in small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are crisp-tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Combine cornmeal, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 cup Cheddar cheese in medium bowl; toss to mix. Beat 1 egg in small bowl; beat in water and oil until blended. Stir into cornmeal mixture just until cornmeal is moistened.
- Pat mixture evenly on bottom and up side of greased 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Place remaining 3 eggs, cottage cheese, milk, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper in blender; process until smooth.
- Arrange half of potatoes in layer in crust. Sprinkle with green chiles and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Top with remaining potatoes and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese. Arrange bell pepper strips on top. Carefully pour egg mixture over layers, allowing mixture to seep through layers.
- Cover completely with plastic wrap, folding ends under. Place round metal cooling rack inside wok; fill wok with 1-1/2 inches water. (Water should not touch rack.) Place pie plate on rack. Bring water to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover wok; steam 35 to 40 minutes or until egg mixture is set. (Replenish water, if necessary.)
- Cool 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.
Check out more recipes for Mexican