They're essentially mini-crumb cakes, so these cinnamon and brown sugar cupcakes are perfect for a special breakfast or a sweet afternoon snack.
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Powdered sugar to taste
To make the crumb topping, stir the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt together. Cut the butter into pieces and add it, mixing with an electric mixer or by hand. Mix evenly until large crumbs begin to form.
Prepare the cupcake batter according to the directions on the box of cake mix. Fill the cupcake tin with one spoonful of crumb mixture, pour in cupcake batter, then spoon crumbs over the top to cover. Bake, and enjoy -- there's no need to frost this cupcake variety.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Cooking with Caitlin. "Fresh Whipped Cream." 2009. (Sept. 29, 2009). http://www.cookingwithcaitlin.com/dish/whipped_cream_recipe
- Graham, Jennifer. "The Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Cookbook." Penguin Books. 2007.
- Klivans, Elinor. "Cupcakes!" Chronicle Books. 2005.
- What's Cooking America. "Egg White Meringue - How To Make Perfect Meringue." (Sept. 29, 2009). http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/perfectmeringue.htm
Coffee flour makes use of the normally discarded fruit from the coffee berry. Find out about coffee flour from HowStuffWorks Now.