Show Your Support
All those dowels, cake drums and pieces of foamcore? Unless they're the elegant columns in a multitier wedding cake, they're usually invisible, hidden by frosting or the cake itself. But you don't have to keep your supports out of sight. With a little ingenuity, you can bring your scaffolding into the foreground, using colorful dowels, decorative (but food-safe) wire, or intricately textured plates to construct your cake. You can even put the same idea to work on a smaller scale by building a creative cupcake tree and focusing your piping and sculpting talents on the frosting and decorations for each miniature cake.
Want a recipe to help you get started? Take a look at the ones below.
- Allen, Benet. "World's Largest Cake." Reuters. 12/1/08. 2/14/10.http://english.sina.com/video/2008/1130/201601.html
- Bullock-Prado, Gesine. "P.S., I Cake You." 2/13/10. 2/15/10.http://confectionsofamasterbaker.blogspot.com/2010/02/ps-i-cake-you.html
- Byrne, Dominic. "Divorce Cakes." Undated. 2/10/10.http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_8381000/8381910.stm
- Coolest Birthday Cakes. " Coolest Homemade Animated Cakes - Moving Cakes!" Undated. 2/11/10.http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/animated-cakes.html
- Coolest Birthday Cakes. "Fun Ideas on How to Decorate a Cake - Egyptian Pyramids." Undated. 2/11/10.http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/how-to-decorate-a-cake.html
- FoodNetwork.com. "Decorating with Fondant." 2009. 2/10/10.http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/decorating-with-fondant-recipe/index.html
- Lainson, Kimberly. "Men's Shirt Novelty Cakes." Fabulous Foods. 8/19/08. 2/11/10.http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/109/27968
- Mesnier, Roland and Lauren Chattman. "Roland Mesnier's Basic to Beautiful Cakes." Simon & Schuster. 2007.
- Moskin, Julia. "Dry-Ice martini and Electric Cake." 10/29/08. 2/19/10.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/dining/29hungry.html?_r=1
- Peters, Colette. "Cakes to Dream On." John Wiley & Sons. 2005.
- Sennebogen, Emilie. "Fondant 101." TLC.com. Undated. 2/10/10.https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fondant-101.htm
- Sicard, Cheri. "How to Put a Picture on a Cake." Fabulous Foods. 7/29/07. 2/13/10.http://www.fabulousfoods.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&category_id=226&article=19997
- Stucchi, Lorenza De Medici. "Great Desserts." International Culinary Society. 1989.
- Sugar Craft. "Wafer Paper." Undated. 2/13/10.http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/waferpaper.htm
- Tasty Photo Art. "Frequently Asked Questions." Undated 2/12/10.http://www.tastyfotoart.com/faqs1.htm
- The French Culinary Institute. "Cake Decorating Classes." Undated. 2/12/10http://www.frenchculinary.com/cake_decorating_classes.html
HowStuffWorks looks at some great British Baking terms — and some American ones as well.