A glaze can be a simple and elegant substitution for frosting. Made mostly with water and powdered sugar, glazes are either transparent, opaque or colored (the tint comes from food coloring or fruit purees). Drizzle a hot glaze over a cupcake to create a smooth, sugary coating that pools on top. It'll cool to form a thin, hard crust, which helps keep the cupcake fluffy and moist. You can also use a spoon to drizzle on a smaller amount, forming zigzags or other designs. Glazes have a biting sweetness. To temper, try flavoring it with grapefruit juice, milk, coffee or one of your own favorite flavors.
- All Recipes: How to Make Cupcakes. 2010. (May 21, 2010).http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/How-to-Make-Cupcakes/Detail.aspx
- Birthday Direct: Beach Time Toys Cupcake Decorating Picks. 2010. (May 20, 2010).http://www.birthdaydirect.com/beach-time-toys-cupcake-decorating-picks-12-p-12080.html
- CNET. Decorate Cupcakes Without Fancy Tools. Dec. 14, 2008. (May 20, 1010).http://www.cnet.com/8301-13553_1-10121218-32.html
- Country Living. Cupcake Decorating Ideas and Recipes. 2010. (May 20, 2010).http://www.countryliving.com/cooking/recipes/cupcake-decorating-ideas-0309
- Hansen, Kaye and Liv Hansen. The Global Gourmet: I Love Desserts. Simple Glazes. 2008. (May 20, 2010).http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/ild/2008/0508/simple-glaze.html
- Lauderdale, Cyndi and Erv Evans. North Carolina State University Horticulture Information Leaflets. "Edible Flowers." (May 20, 2010).http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8513.html
- Martha Stewart.com. Our Best Cupcakes. 2010. (May 20, 2010).http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/fancy-cupcakes
- Science News. "Artificial Food Coloring Dangers." May 8, 2008. (May 20, 2010).http://science-news.org/artificial-food-coloring/artificial-food-coloring-dangers/
- ShopBakersNook. Natural Food Coloring by Chefmaster. 2010. (May 20, 2010).http://www.shopbakersnook.com/NaturalFoodcoloringbyChefmaster.html
Everyone loves getting holiday cookies. But nobody loves getting cookie crumbles. HowStuffWorks has tips to ship your cookies so they don't break.