Although cupcakes are at their best when eaten fresh, there are several ways to store them that will keep their flavor and fluffiness factors in check. First, avoid food poisoning by storing all cupcakes with creamy fillings or whipped cream toppings in the refrigerator or freezer. Cupcakes freeze very well for up to three months, except for those with hard candy toppings or decorating gel -- these don't defrost very easily. To thaw frozen cupcakes, simply place them on a countertop or in the refrigerator.
Don't be too hasty about frosting your cupcakes if you plan on storing them for a few days before anyone consumes them. For instance, if the cupcakes will be consumed in a day or two for a class party that's around the corner, just store them in an airtight container at room temperature. Plan on frosting them the day of the event. If you know that you'll be freezing part of your batch because you have a celebration a few weeks from now or simply because you don't want to have too many cupcakes on hand, experts recommend freezing plain cupcakes and frosting them after they've thawed out.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "A Whole Year of Cupcakes." Martha Stewart Kids. (Sept. 22, 2009).http://www.marthastewart.com/article/a-whole-year-of-cupcakes-by-martha?autonomy_kw=cupcakes
- "Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes." Cupcake Project.com. (Sept. 28, 2009). http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/08/baked-bean-and-tomato-cupcakes.html
- "Baking Cupcakes: Make Perfect Cupcakes With Cupcake Baking Tips By Wilton." Wilton.com. (Sept. 28, 2009). http://www.wilton.com/cupcakes/making-cupcakes/
- "Cupcake Baking Tips." The Cupcake Project. (Sept. 28, 2009); http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2007/02/cupcake-baking-tips.html
- Cupcake Central.com. (Sept. 28, 2009). http://www.cupcakecentral.com/
- Laumer, John. "Myths That Waste Energy in the Kitchen: The Baking and Roasting Episode." TreeHugger.com. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/10/three_myths_tha.php
- "Pina Colada Cupcakes." Betty Crocker.com. (Sept. 28, 2009).
- Selasky, Susan. "Tips to Make the Perfect Cupcake." South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com. April 2, 2009. (Sept. 28, 2009).http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/food/sfl-tips-for-baking-cupcakes-e04sbapr02,0,4042783.story
- "Sprinkles' Baking Tips." Oprah.com. (Sept. 26, 2009). http://www.oprah.com/article/food/cookingadvice/food_adv_bakingtips
- Urzua, Vanessa. "4th of July Cupcake Decorating Tips for Kids." Dallas Baking Examiner. (Sept. 28, 2009). http://www.examiner.com/x-9835-Dallas-Baking-Examiner~y2009m7d4-4th-of-July-cupcake-decorating-tips-for-kids
Some of the best breads are leavened using yeast. But how does this tiny microbe make bread rise? And why is it so intimidating when it comes to baking?