Texas sauce isn't as thin as a vinegar-based sauce. It's a bit thicker in consistency, but not super-thick. Its base is tomato sauce or ketchup, and it's meant to be added to the meat right before serving. Many people will first barbecue the meat with a dry rub of different spices and finish it off with the Texas sauce.
Spicy, but not overly sweet, Texas style sauce uses spices like chili powder, paprika, cumin and any other "secret ingredient" the barbecue lover might want to add.
Because Texas is cow country, your Texas barbeque will likely be beef. A popular choice is brisket, smoked in a pit with hickory or oak. The sauce should be served warm, on the side.
Is your stomach growling? Check out the links below to learn even more.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "A history of Kansas City-style barbecue." Kansas City Convention & Visitors Association. April 15, 2009. (Sept. 27, 2009) http://www.visitkc.com/mediaroom/news_release_detail.aspx?NewsID=36
- "Barbecue." South Carolina Dining. 2009. (Sept. 27, 2009) http://dining.discoversouthcarolina.com/famous-flavors/barbeque.aspx
- "Barbecue Sauce." BigOven. 2009. (Sept. 27, 2009) http://www.bigoven.com/whatis.aspx?id=Barbecue%20Sauce
- Garner, Bob. "Bob Garner's Guide to North Carolina Barbecue." John F. Blair Publisher. 2002. (Sept. 27, 2009)
- "Does sauce make it barbecue?" Fiery-Foods.com. 2009. (Sept. 27, 2009) http://www.fiery-foods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2058:does-sauce-make-it-barbecue&catid=168:rubs-and-more&Itemid=145
- Goldwyn, Craig. "A taxonomy of American barbecue sauces." AmazingRibs.com. May 27, 2009. (Sept. 27, 2009) http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/
- Goldwyn, Craig. "East Carolina Mop-Sauce: Kiss and Vinegar." AmazingRibs.com. April 3, 2009. (Sept. 27, 2009) http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/east_carolina_BBQ_sauce.html
- Raichlen, Steven. "Barbecue bible: sauces, rubs, and marinades, bastes, butters & glazes." Workman Publishing Company. 2000. (Sept. 27, 2009) Tatum, Malcolm. "What is Mop Sauce?" WiseGeek.com. 2009. (Sept. 27, 2009) http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mop-sauce.htm
Come with HowStuffWorks on a mouthwatering-journey through the history, politics and techniques of barbecue.