Warmers Make It Last
Most cooking tools are about producing a great dish. And certainly the most important things are taste and appearance: The food we most want to eat both looks and tastes appetizing. Unfortunately, achieving those qualities doesn't end when the food is cooked. It ends when it makes it to the table and into people's mouths.
That's where a warmer comes in. A warming drawer, typically positioned below the oven in a range unit, although it can also be a totally separate device, can get plates and bowls warm so they help the food stay hot once you plate it, and it can keep plates of food warm until you're ready to bring them to the table.
It's a luxury, no doubt, but one that could be worth the investment if you're into a professional-grade meal. Even the best-cooked hot food starts to go downhill as it cools. There's not much point in cooking your Alfredo sauce in a nonreactive pan over a gas flame if it's just going to congeal by the time you sit down to eat it.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Anusasananan, Linda Lau. Making the Most of Convection Cooking. BNET. Sunset. May 1994.http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n5_v192/ai_15413351/
- Bake and Roast at Microwave Speeds. LG.http://www.lge.com/uk/home-appliances/microwave-ovens/LG-MP9287NB.jsp
- Choose Pots and Pans. The Cooking Inn.http://www.thecookinginn.com/potsandpans.html
- Cunningham, Tessa. "Halogen ovens: They roast a chicken in 30 minutes, clean themselves and cost just £40." The Daily Mail UK. Nov. 4, 2009.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1224816/Halogen-ovens-They-roast-chicken-30-minutes-clean-cost-just-40.html#ixzz0XdL6zggS
- Essential Baking Tools: An Electronic Scale. The Kitchn.http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/appliances-small/essential-baking-tools-an-electronic-scale-08256
- Gas Cooktop Advantages. DoItYourself.http://www.doityourself.com/stry/gas-cooktop-advantages
- Gas or Electric -- What's Better for Cooking? HHGregg Learning Center.http://www.hhgregglearningcenter.com/gas-or-electric-whats-better-for-cooking-481/
- How to Buy a Knife. Food Network.http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-cooking/how-to-buy-a-knife/index.html
- Kitchen Appliance Tips. TLC Cooking.https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/tools-and-techniques/kitchen-appliance-tips8.htm
- The Original Halogen Oven. JML. http://www.jmldirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=H1500&changecurrency=GBP
- Willenberg, Barbara and Karla Hughes. "Storing Food in the Freezer." University of Missouri Extension.http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=mp556
- Top 10 Wish List for Serious Cooks. Better Homes and Gardens.http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/kitchen/appliances/kitchen-appliances-for-serious-cooks/?page=1
- Viking Professional Stand Mixers. Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center.http://www.universal-akb.com/viprstmi.html
Instant Pot is all the rage. But what's the deal? What makes this pressure cooker so great? HowStuffWorks gets cooking.