You'll be really shocked to learn that there's no chicken in chicken fried steak. Chicken fried steak is actually tenderized steak made like fried chicken [source: Brown]. Let's not waste any more time and find out how to make this delicious food.
Ingredients for the steak
Ingredients for the gravy
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Three dashes hot pepper sauce
Here's what to do:
- Preheat the oven to the lowest possible setting.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Combine the egg and the milk in another bowl.
- Pour the Bisquick into a third bowl.
- Coat each steak first with the flour mixture, next with the egg mixture and finally with the Bisquick.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the coated steaks for five minutes until golden brown. Wait for the oil to sizzle before frying the steaks.
- Transfer the steaks into a pan and put the pain in the oven to keep warm.
- Drain the oil from the skillet into a measuring cup.
- Pour ¼ cup of oil back into the skillet.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over a medium flame.
- Sprinkle the flour over the oil in the measuring cup and blend until it's smooth.
- Cook the flour mixture for about eight minutes, until the flour loses its raw look.
- Add the milk slowly, while constantly stirring until a gravy forms.
- Season the gravy with the salt, sugar and hot pepper sauce.
- Pour the gravy over the steak pieces before serving [sources: Washington Post].