- Combine flour and salt into a medium bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the shortening into flour until the mixture is a fine, even texture. Stir in water until dough is formed.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface. After dough is smooth and elastic, wrap dough in plastic wrap. Let stand for 30 minutes.
Knead the dough for two to
three minutes, or until smooth.
- Knead dough again. Divide evenly into 12 pieces for 8-inch tortillas. Shape pieces into a ball and cover with plastic wrap.
- Roll out dough with rolling pin, turning over frequently. Roll each piece of dough into an 8-inch circle. Place individual tortillas between waxed paper.
Keep a ruler handy to know how
big to roll out the dough.
- Cook tortilla in skillet, according to recipe. If tortilla puffs up while second side is cooking, press it down gently with a spatula. Remove tortilla and place in foil until ready to serve.
Press down on tortilla when cooking.
Corn tortillas are another delicious option. Find out how to make them from scratch on the next page.
Not what you’re looking for? Try these:
- How to Cook Chili Peppers: There are a variety of chili peppers available in local markets, and each offers a unique flavor that is sure to enhance your dishes. Learn how to cook chili peppers here.
- Mexican Recipes: From enchiladas to tortilla soup, the delicious ideas on our Mexican Recipes page are sure to be a hit at your next fiesta.
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.