Turtle Caramel Apples the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Turtle Caramel Apples
Makes 4 apples
|4||large Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples|
|1||package (14 ounces) caramels|
|2||jars (3-1/2 ounces each) macadamia nuts or pecans, coarsely chopped|
|1||bittersweet or semisweet chocolate candy bar (about 2 ounces), broken into small pieces|
*Available where cake decorating supplies are sold.
- Line 13X9-inch baking pan with waxed paper; set aside. To prepare apples, wash and dry completely. Remove stems. Insert craft sticks into centers of apples.
- Combine caramels and water in small saucepan. Simmer over low heat until caramels melt and mixture is smooth, stirring frequently.
- Immediately dip apples, one at a time, into caramel to cover completely. Scrape excess caramel from bottom of apple onto side of saucepan, letting excess drip back into saucepan.
- Immediately roll apples in nuts to lightly coat, pressing nuts lightly with fingers so they stick to caramel. Place apples, stick-side up, on prepared baking sheet. Let stand 20 minutes or until caramel is set.
- Place chocolate in small resealable food storage bag; seal bag. Microwave on MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute. Turn bag over; microwave on MEDIUM 1 minute or until melted. Knead bag until chocolate is smooth. Cut off very tiny corner of bag; pipe or drizzle chocolate decoratively onto apples.
- Let apples stand 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Store loosely covered in refrigerator up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
Check out more recipes for Fruit Desserts