Tuscan Brunch Torta
Tuscan Brunch Torta
Makes 12 servings
|3||cups all-purpose flour|
|1||cup unsalted butter|
|6||to 8 tablespoons ice water|
|1||container (15 ounces) ricotta or light ricotta cheese|
|1||package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained|
|1/2||cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
|1/2||teaspoon red pepper flakes|
|1/8||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|8||ounces sliced prosciutto or smoked ham|
|1/2||cup prepared pesto|
|1||jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained and patted dry|
|4||ounces sliced provolone cheese|
- Combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture forms pea-sized pieces.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough forms a soft ball. Shape 2/3 of dough into disk; shape 1/3 of dough into another disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll out.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Turn out large disk of dough onto lightly floured surface. Roll dough into 13-inch round. Transfer to 10-inch deep dish pie plate; trim to 1/4 inch beyond rim. Reserve scraps.
- Pierce dough with fork about 40 times. Brush lightly with beaten egg white. Bake 10 minutes; cool on wire rack.
- Beat 4 eggs lightly in large bowl. Add ricotta cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and nutmeg; mix well. Layer half of prosciutto over cooled crust; spread spinach mixture over prosciutto. Layer remaining prosciutto, pesto, roasted red peppers and provolone cheese over top.
- Roll out remaining dough to 12-inch round. Place over filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond rim and flute edge. Reroll pastry scraps; cut into decorative shapes and place over pastry. Cut several slits on top of pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Beat egg yolk and milk in small bowl with wire whisk; brush evenly over pastry. Place pie plate on baking sheet; bake 1 hour or until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Check out more recipes for Italian