Veal Cordon Bleu
Makes 4 servings
|4||thin veal cutlets or veal scaloppine (4 ounces each)|
|Salt and black pepper|
|4||slices prosciutto or cooked ham (1/2 ounce each)|
|2||slices Swiss or Gruyère cheese (1 ounce each), cut in half|
|1||cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs|
|1/2||cup all-purpose flour|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|Lemon balm for garnish|
- Prepare Strawberry Insalata; refrigerate.
- Place each veal cutlet between sheets of waxed paper on cutting board. Pound each cutlet with meat mallet to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. (Omit step if using scaloppine.)
- Lightly sprinkle 1 side of each cutlet with salt and pepper. Whisk together egg and milk in small bowl.
- Place 1 prosciutto slice and 1 cheese slice half in center of each veal piece. Brush tops of cheese and edges of veal with milk mixture.
- Fold long edges of veal over prosciutto and cheese, pressing gently to adhere. Beginning at short ends, roll veal jelly-roll fashion. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place bread crumbs and flour on separate plates. Roll veal in flour, then dip in milk mixture. Roll veal in bread crumbs, pressing to coat well. Place on ungreased baking sheet; cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add veal; cook 20 minutes, turning veal 1/4 turn every 5 minutes, or until veal is tender. Remove toothpicks; discard. Serve immediately with Strawberry Insalata. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for French