Veal Scallopini the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes 4 servings
|4||veal cutlets, cut 3/8 inch thick (about 4 ounces each)|
|1/4||cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine|
|1/2||pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced|
|2||tablespoons olive oil|
|1||small onion, finely chopped|
|1/4||cup dry sherry|
|2||teaspoons all-purpose flour|
|1/2||cup beef broth|
|1/8||teaspoon black pepper|
|2||tablespoons whipping cream|
|Hot cooked pasta|
|Fresh bay leaf and marjoram sprigs for garnish (optional)|
- Pound veal with meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat until melted and bubbly. Cook and stir mushrooms in butter 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove mushrooms with slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add oil to butter in skillet; heat over medium heat. Add veal; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until light brown. Remove veal; reserve.
- Add onion to same skillet; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Stir in sherry; boil over medium-high heat 15 seconds. Stir in flour; cook and stir 30 seconds. Stir in broth; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in reserved mushrooms, salt and pepper. Add veal to sauce mixture; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 8 minutes or until veal is tender. Remove from heat.
- Remove veal to serving plates. Stir cream into sauce mixture; mix well. Cook over low heat until heated through. Serve over pasta and veal.
Check out more recipes for Italian