Velvety Coconut and Spice Cake the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Velvety Coconut and Spice Cake
Makes one 3-layer cake
|1/2||cup granulated sugar plus additional for preparing cake pans|
|2-1/2||cups all-purpose flour|
|1-1/2||teaspoons baking powder|
|3/4||teaspoon baking soda|
|1-1/2||teaspoons ground cinnamon|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cloves|
|1/4||teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1/4||teaspoon ground allspice|
|1/4||teaspoon ground cardamom|
|1/2||cup (1 stick) butter, softened|
|1/2||cup packed brown sugar|
|1-1/2||cups light cream|
|1-1/2||cups shredded coconut|
|Creamy Orange Frosting|
|Candied Orange Rose and toasted coconut for garnish (optional)|
|2/3||cup orange marmalade|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease three (8-inch) round cake pans; sprinkle with enough granulated sugar to lightly coat bottoms and sides of pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat butter in large bowl until creamy. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla.
- Combine cream and molasses in small bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut; pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 20 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Loosen edges; remove to racks to cool completely.
- Prepare Creamy Orange Frosting and Candied Orange Rose, if desired.
- To assemble, spread two cake layers with marmalade; stack on serving plate. Top with third cake layer. Frost with Creamy Orange Frosting. Refrigerate. Garnish, if desired.
Check out more recipes for Cakes