Viennese Coffee the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Makes about 4 (3-1/2-cup) servings
|1||cup whipping cream, divided|
|1||teaspoon powdered sugar|
|1||bar (3 ounces) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate|
|3||cups strong freshly brewed hot coffee|
|1/4||cup crème de cacao or Irish cream (optional)|
- Chill bowl, beaters and cream before whipping. Place 2/3 cup cream and sugar into chilled bowl. Beat with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. If mixture has separated slightly after refrigeration, whisk lightly with wire whisk before using.
- To make chocolate shavings for garnish, place waxed paper under chocolate. Holding chocolate in one hand, make short, quick strokes across chocolate with vegetable peeler; set aside. Break remaining chocolate into pieces.
- Place remaining 1/3 cup cream in heavy small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add chocolate pieces; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted; stir until smooth.
- Add hot coffee to chocolate mixture. Heat over low heat just until bubbles form around edge of pan and coffee is heated through, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in crème de cacao, if desired.
- Pour into 4 warmed mugs. Top with whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
Check out more recipes for Hot Drinks