Walnut-Orange Torte with Apricot Cream
Makes 8 servings
|1/2||cup packed dark brown sugar|
|1||tablespoon grated orange peel|
|2||tablespoons orange juice|
|1||cup ground walnuts|
|1/2||cup plain dry bread crumbs|
|3||tablespoons granulated sugar|
|1-1/2||cups whipping cream|
|2||tablespoons powdered sugar|
|1||cup apricot spreadable fruit|
|1-1/2||cups (6 ounces) walnut halves|
|1/2||cup granulated sugar|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8X1-3/4-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with parchment or waxed paper.
- Combine egg yolks, brown sugar and orange peel in large bowl. Beat until thick and pale. Add orange juice and vanilla; beat until well blended. Combine ground walnuts and bread crumbs; fold into yolk mixture.
- Beat 6 egg whites and salt in clean bowl until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar; beat until glossy and stiff but not dry. Fold 1/3 of egg whites into yolk mixture; fold in remaining whites. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes until golden and centers spring back when lightly touched with finger. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- For apricot cream, beat cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Place spreadable fruit in bowl. Stir 1/3 whipped cream into fruit; fold into remaining whipped cream. Split cake layers in half horizontally with serrated knife. Fill and frost cake layers with apricot cream.
- For sugared walnuts, beat egg white in medium bowl; stir in walnut halves. Add sugar; stir to coat thoroughly. Transfer to foil-lined baking sheet with slotted spatula, letting excess sugar mixture drip off; spread walnuts in single layer. Bake in 300°F oven 30 minutes until dry and crisp; cool completely.
- Arrange sugared walnuts around edge of cake top. Crush remaining nuts; press into frosting around bottom of cake. Chill until ready to serve.
Check out more recipes for Cakes