Whole Wheat Loaves the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
Whole Wheat Loaf
Makes 24 servings (2 loaves)
|3||cups whole wheat flour, divided|
|2-1/4||to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided|
|1/2||cup wheat germ|
|2||packages active dry yeast|
|1/4||cup butter or margarine|
- Combine 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, wheat germ, yeast and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Combine milk, water, honey and butter in 2-quart saucepan. Heat over low heat until mixture is 120° to 130°F. (Butter does not need to completely melt.)
- Gradually beat milk mixture into flour mixture with electric mixer at medium speed. Reduce speed to low. Beat in remaining 1 cup whole wheat flour. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in enough additional all-purpose flour, about 1-1/4 cups, to make soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; flatten slightly. Knead dough 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Shape dough into a ball; place in large greased bowl. Turn dough over so that top is greased. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface 1 minute. Cut dough into halves. Cover with towel; let rest 10 minutes. Grease 2 (8-1/2X4-1/2-inch) loaf pans; set aside.
- Roll out one half of dough into 12X8-inch rectangle with lightly floured rolling pin. Starting with 1 (8-inch) side, roll up dough jelly-roll style. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place loaf, seam side down, in prepared pan, tucking ends under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until loaves are browned and sound hollow when tapped. Immediately remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks. Cut each loaf into 12 slices before serving.
Check out more recipes for Basic Dough