Yummy Yellow Cake Bob Brougham
Bob Brougham created this Yummy Yellow Cake recipe in the first season fo TLC's 'Ulimate Cake Off'.
|1/2||cup cold water|
|1 1/2||cups cake flour|
|4||t. baking powder|
|1||can crushed pineapple (13-1/4 oz.)|
|1||t. lemon juice|
|16||large marshmallows, quartered|
|1||T. white wine|
|1||c. flaked coconut|
|1/2||t. almond flavoring|
|4||cups powdered sugar|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and lightly flour two 8" round pans.
- Cream butter and add sugar slowly, beat until light. Beat in egg yolks and cold water and combine well. Combine the flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. Add to first mixture and mix thoroughly. Beat egg whites separately until stiff but not dry. Gently stir a third of the whites into first mixture, then fold in the remaining whites.
- Spread batter in the pans and bake for about 25 minutes, testing with a toothpick. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before turning out on a rack to cool. Wrap and refrigerate.
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 min. on low heat, stirring constantly. Cool before using.
- Combine butter, marshmallows and wine in the top of a double boiler. Set over boiling water and stir occasionally until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Cool until thick enough to spread.
- Cream butter and shortening together. Add vanilla, almond and salt. Beat sugar in 1 cup at a time; scrape sides and bottom of bowl often to make sure sugar is well blended. Add milk and beat at high speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered and in the refrigerator when not in use. Makes 3 cups.
- Torte cake layers. Sprinkle or mist cake with rum or rum flavoring (use good rum that you would drink yourself ). Then layer cake: pineapple filling - cake - coconut filling - cake - pineapple filling - cake. Seam cake with buttercream and refrigerate until firm. When firm, ice with buttercream (whip cream is also delicious and refreshing but you must keep it refrigerated ). Top with a sprinkling of toasted coconut or decorate as you wish, and enjoy!
Check out more recipes for Cakes