1 1/4 cups yellow split mung dal
1 cup white basmati rice, rinsed
6 1/2 cups water
3 tbsp local butter
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 potato, skinned and chopped into 1-inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp salt
1. Rinse the dal. Combine the dal, rice, and 6 cups of water in the slow cooker.
2. In a medium size skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the ground spices, cook 1 to 2 minutes just to release the flavor from the spices.
3. Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and veggies to the slow cooker.
4. Top everything with the melted butter combination. Add salt. Cook on high for six hours.
5. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Serve with a touch of soy sauce and crusty bread.