Slow cookers are ideal for vegetable soups, with or without meat. The basic recipe includes bite-sized vegetables and meat simmered all day in stock. The variations are endless.
Basic Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Dice hard vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, winter squash and/or rutabagas), and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker insert.
- Cut any meat you're adding into bite-sized bits and add it on top of the vegetables. Stick with fresh meats; processed meats like ham, corned beef and sausage can contain upwards of 1,000 milligrams of sodium per serving.
- Season with fresh or dried herbs.
- Add tender vegetables like corn, peas and okra.
- Cover with sodium-free bouillon dissolved in water. For creamy soups or chowders, stir in a half cup of heavy whipping cream (liquid, not whipped), or 1 cup of half-and-half or evaporated milk.
- Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours (or on low for 10 to 12 hours).