- Prepare barbecue grill with rectangular metal or foil drip pan. Bank the charcoal on either side of drip pan for indirect cooking.
- Insert meat thermometer into center of thickest part of turnkey breast, not touching bone.
Make sure the meat thermometer does not touch the bone when inserted.
- Place turkey, bone-side down, on roast rack or directly on preheated grid, directly over drip pan.
- Grill turkey, on covered grill, over medium coals 55 minutes, adding 4 to 9 briquets to both sides of the fire after 45 minutes to maintain medium coals.
- If using a basting sauce, brush turkey with sauce and continue to grill, covered, 10 minutes. Brush with remaining mixture; continue to grill, covered, about 10 minutes or until thermometer registers 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer turkey to carving board; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before carving.