How to Poach Fish
- Rinse fish steaks and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place fish in saucepan just the size to hold them. Add enough poaching liquid to barely cover fish.
Add enough liquid to just barely cover the fish.
- Bring liquid to a simmer over medium heat. (Do not boil. This will cause fish to break apart.) Adjust heat, if necessary, to keep liquid at a simmer.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until center is opaque and fish flakes easily when tested with fork.
- Remove fish with slotted spatula.
- Remove skin and bones from fish with paring knife.
Before serving, remove the skin and bones.
Want more information? Try these:
- Cooking: Learn the ins and outs of some basic cooking techniques in this helpful article.
- Cooking Seafood: Get your feet wet by exploring the best ways to prepare seafood.
- Fish Recipes: Reel in dozens of amazing fish recipes from this article.
- Shellfish: From shrimp and lobster to clams, mussels, and more, you'll find valuable information on shellfish at HowStuffWorks.